At Acton Academy…
21st Century Learning
- The latest in educational technology for self-paced mastery of reading, writing, and math skills
- Deep Socratic Discussions about heroes, history and self governance to hone critical thinking skills and the ability to powerfully think, write and speak
- Hands-on project based Quests to master the tools and skills needed to problem solve in the real world
- Written promises and covenants that form a tightly bound community of individuals learning to form authentic friendships and honestly resolve interpersonal problems.
We believe that clear thinking leads to good decisions, good decisions lead to right habits, the right habits lead to character and character becomes destiny.
A Learner-Driven Community
-Students create and sign a Contract of Promises, curated by them, of how to be within the learning environment and the consequences for violating community norms.
-Mentor teams encourage younger and older students to listen, affirm, set goals and hold each other accountable.
“Learn to be” badges that celebrate character and completing leadership challenges.
- Badges are used to track academic progress in Core Skills like reading, writing, math and spelling and character development in “Learn to Be” badges.
- Electronic and hard copy portfolios capture rough drafts, photos, video and other creative work.
- Public exhibitions at the end of most Quests allow young people to present work to experts, customers or the public for a real world test in presentation.